- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cups unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cups shortening, chilled
- 1-1/2 cups sweet potatoes-mashed
- 2 tsp milk
Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
Sweet potatoes are the perfect complement to Pork BBQ!
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Sift the flour, baking powder, allspice, cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Use the tips of your fingers to blend in the brown sugar.
2) Cut in the chilled butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse, crumbly meal. Then stir in the mashed sweet potatoes and knead until the dough just holds together.
3) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 1 minute, adding a little flour as necessary to incorporate all the ingredients.
4) Pat the dough in a 1/2-inch circle and let it rest, covered with a clean towel, for 10 to 15 minutes.
5) Cut out the biscuits with a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour. Gather the scraps, pat out again, and cut into biscuits. Arrange them about 3/4-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and brush the tops with milk. Bake until golden brown — 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the biscuits on a rack.
Makes 18 Biscuits